Lower Trent Conservation
Did You Know?

Collectively, Conservation Authorities own and protect a total of 150,000 hectares, including forests, wetlands, areas of natural and scientific interest, recreational lands, natural heritage and cultural sites, as well as, land for flood and erosion control.



How should I prepare for possible flooding on my property?

  • Know where your property is located in relation to flood susceptible areas.  If you are unsure, please submit a property inquiry to find out..
  • During periods of high water or in the event of a flood, we will provide up-to-date information in relation to water levels and forecasts at ltc.on.ca.
  • Listen to local radio stations for updates during periods of high water or times of flooding.
  • Consider installing a sump pump and zero reverse flow valves in basement floor drains.
  • Consider having a portable generator and/or a pump available.
  • Contact your electricity and fuel suppliers for instructions on how to safely shut down and protect furnaces and other equipment, and the steps that need to be taken after a flood before restarting equipment.
  • Consult your property insurer about steps you should take if your property is flooded.

What should I do if my property is flooding, or about to flood?

  • Listen for flood warnings and watches on television, radio, and newspapers.  Be sure to talk to your neighbours who may have information, and offer your help if needed.  If you have access to the internet be sure to visit ltc.on.ca for up to date information.
  • Remove valuable items from the basement and lower levels.
  • Remove items on your property including furniture, ornamental items, or items that may pose a possible threat (gas, chemicals, etc.) to the water quality of the Trent River.
  • If you have a generator and/or portable pump, test them and have fuel on hand.
  • Test your sump pump.
  • Follow instructions from your utility supplier to safely shut down and protect furnaces and other appliances if needed.
  • Prepare to evacuate if necessary.  Collect items such as cash, medication, important papers, identification and change of clothes.  Follow the instructions of emergency response officials, such as police, fire and municipal staff.   Consider evacuating your residence if streets in your neighborhood are flooded as emergency vehicles may not be able to get to your home.
  • If you are in immediate danger call 911.
  • Ensure your pets are not left alone during a flood.

Why are some stretches along the Trent River higher than others?  Why doesn’t Lower Trent Conservation open the dams to let the water pass?

  • The dams on the Trent River are operated by the Trent-Severn Waterway, not Lower Trent Conservation.  Lower Trent Conservation provides messages relating to the potential for flooding to occur and monitors the impacts of flooding.
  • The job of managing water levels on the Trent River is very complex and challenging.  Cottagers, year-round residents, commercial operators, power generators, and others are all concerned about water level fluctuations in times of high spring flow and summer drought.  The water management goal of the Trent Severn Waterway is to provide for safe navigation while trying to accommodate the other water users.  There are a variety of constraints to reconciling the conflicting demands of regulating water levels and flows along the river, not the least of which is climate, which can be neither controlled nor guaranteed.  The prevention of flooding can also be hampered by narrow river channels, uncontrolled rivers, a lack of storage volume in some lakes and the differing water-holding capabilities of soils throughout the drainage basin.  The main river channel can pass only so much water.  Once it begins to flood, there is only so much that can be done.
  • For water level information on the Trent-Severn Waterway, go to Parks Canada – Trent-Severn Waterway National Historic Site

The flood event seems to be over.  Now what?

  • If you were evacuated from your home, be sure authorities have advised that it is safe to return to your home.
  • Report broken utility lines.
  • Consult your insurer about steps to take if you property is flooded.
  • If you suspect your building has suffered structural damage, contact the building department of your Municipality.
  • Exercise caution when returning home.  If the main power switch was not turned off prior to flooding, do not re-enter your home until a qualified electrician has determined it safe to do so.
  • If your main electrical panel was under water, it must be cleaned, dried and tested by a qualified electrician to determine if it is safe.  Do not use flooded appliances, electrical outlets, switch boxes or fuse breaker panels until they have been checked by the power company.
  • Your drinking water in your home could be contaminated with sewage and other pollutants that may have entered your well.  Contact your local Health Unit.

Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit
Hastings & Prince Edward Counties Health Unit