Lower Trent Conservation
Did You Know?

More the 80 % of Ontario’s population receives their drinking water from a municipal drinking water system. Municipalities, Conservation Authorities, and Source Protection Authorities others play a strong role in ensuring that municipally treated drinking water is safe for our use.


Permits and Regulations

Lower Trent Conservation helps to guard against the risks posed by flooding, erosion and other natural hazards by regulating development across the watershed. We do this under Part VI of the Conservation Authorities Act and Ontario Regulation 41/24 (O. Reg. 41/24) Prohibited Activities Exemptions and Permits

By reviewing proposals for activities in or adjacent to wetlands, steep slopes, valleys, watercourses or shorelines, Lower Trent Conservation can ensure that development will not be impacted by flooding or erosion problems and that new development does not aggravate flooding problems upstream or downstream. Environmental impacts are also taken into consideration before issuing a permit. 

You must receive written permission from Lower Trent Conservation before initiating certain types of work.  Activities that require approval include: 

  • Construction, reconstruction or placing of a building/structure of any kind
  • Any change to a building/structure that would alter the use, size or number of dwelling units
  • Site grading
  • Temporary or permanent placing or removal of any material originating on the site
  • Straightening, changing, diverting or interfering in any way with a watercourse, shoreline or wetland

View the LTC Board Approved Regulatory Policies for more information.

To find out if your property is located in a regulated area, check our online map viewer.

If you are looking to submit a completed permit application form, please send to permits [@] ltc. on. ca. (Note – inquiries are to be submitted through our Property Inquiry Service)