Lower Trent Conservation

Applying for a Permit

Lower Trent Conservation strongly advises that you speak with one of our staff members before submitting a permit.  By discussing your proposal with our professional staff first you will be given the best information on how to make your proposal comply with Lower Trent Policy for projects in or adjacent to hazard land features.

Do I Need a Permit?

Under Ontario Regulation 163/06, Lower Trent Conservation regulates and may prohibit work taking place within or adjacent to wetlands, watercourses, or shorelines.  If your property is regulated, you must apply for a permit from the Conservation Authority in order to do any of the following works:
a. straightening, changing, diverting or interfering in any way with the existing channel of a river, creek, stream or watercourse, or for changing or interfering in any way with a wetland;
b. development, if in the opinion of the authority, the control of flooding, erosion, dynamic beaches or pollution or the conservation of land may be affected by the development.

Development is defined as:

  1. the construction, reconstruction, erection or placing of a building or structure of any kind,
  2. any change to a building or structure that would have the effect of altering the use or potential use of the building or structure, increasing the size of the building or structure or increasing the number of dwelling units in the building or structure,
  3. site grading, and/or
  4. the temporary or permanent placing, dumping or removal of any material, originating on the site or elsewhere

Note: Regulations under the Conservation Authorities Act are enforced. Developing, interfering with a wetland or altering a shoreline or watercourse without a permit may result in a fine and prosecution under the Conservation Authorities Act.

How Do I Know My Property is Regulated?

Some of the hazard lands regulated by Lower Trent Conservation have been mapped. The Regulation mapping shows the Regulated Areas and is available through our head office.
If you live close to a stream, river, valley, or watercourse of any kind, a wetland or on the waterfront, and you wish to determine if your property is affected by Ontario Regulation 163/06 or find out about other LTC policies and programs, contact us. Please be prepared with a legal description of your property (e.g. municipal address, lot and concession, township, plan or block number) and a location map.

How Do I Apply for a Permit?

  1. Contact Us .  We strongly advise you speak with us before starting and submitting a permit, this will save you both time and money, and is a free service.
  2. Download a Permit Application Package - OR contact us to pick up a permit application from our office or have a permit application mailed, sent electronically or faxed to you.
  3. Refer to the Regulations Fee Schedule to determine the category of works and the type of permit you will need as well as the applicable fee. Please forward a cheque in the appropriate amount made payable to Lower Trent Conservation along with your permit application.

If you are applying for a permit on behalf of the landowner, a letter of authorization from the landowner is required.

What Happens After I Submit My Application?

Your Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses permit application will be assessed to determine whether the proposed works will affect the control of flooding, erosion, dynamic beaches, pollution or the conservation of land. We initially assess to ensure that the application is complete and if there is more info required we will advise the applicant.  Recommendations will be forwarded to the Board of Directors, who will decide whether to approve or refuse the application. If refused, the applicant will be notified of the reasons in writing.
Within the 30 days of receipt of the Notice of Refusal, the applicant may appeal to the Mining and Lands Commissioner who may dismiss the appeal or grant permission.
To ensure that your permit application is reviewed in time to be included on the agenda, please ensure that your complete permit application is submitted FOUR WEEKS prior to the scheduled Board of Directors Meeting. 

Why Is Obtaining a Permit Important?

Ontario Regulation 163/06 is important because it protects watercourses, wetlands, shorelines and valley lands, and it protects you and your neighbours throughout the watershed. Regulation 163/06 enables us to maintain the ecological integrity of the lower Trent watershed. These watercourses, wetlands, and shorelines provide fish and wildlife habitat; improve air quality; and more.
In addition, Regulation 163/06 ensures that works within the regulated areas will not create a hazard to life and property in other parts of the watershed. Every year, the lower Trent region experiences periodic flooding. Unrestricted development within a floodplain increases the risk to "life, personal injury, and property damage."
Development along these areas including Lake Ontario Waterfront can also affect neighbouring properties by changing the physical characteristics of the floodplain and stream.