Flood Protection ServiceWith funding from the Province and matching municipal dollars, Lower Trent Conservation provides flood protection services to its member municipalities to reduce the risk of property damage and loss of life due to flooding.

...protecting lives and property...


Operation/Maintenance of Flood Control Structures

Lower Trent Conservation has completed 16 flood control projects throughout the lower Trent region. The structures include the dam at Warkworth, flood walls, berms, weirs, and overflow channels. As some of these structures were constructed close to 20 years ago, a maintenance program and regular inspections are required to ensure that they are in good condition and continue to function as designed.Flooding in Frankford

Flood Forecasting and Warning

Conservation Authorities are responsible for providing early warning of flood emergencies to municipalities and the general public. Local knowledge of flood prone areas and watershed responses to rainfall and snowmelt events is required to implement this program. Click here for Water Level Bulletins.


Our Flood Contingency Plan outlines the roles and responsibilities of the Conservation Authority, local municipalities and the Province as it relates to potential flood situations.


Check out these links to some great weather forecasting sites.

Hazard Land Regulations

To ensure public safety due to flooding and erosion, and to help protect the local environment, Lower Trent Conservation administers hazard land regulations.  Effective May 8, 2006, the Development, Interference with Wetlands & Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses Regulation replaced the Conservation Authority Fill, Construction and Alteration to Waterways Regulation. A significant change resulting from the amended regulation is the inclusion of lands located along the Lake Ontario and Bay of Quinte shoreline and wetlands. 

By reviewing applications for activities near wetlands, watercourses or shorelines, Lower Trent Conservation can ensure that development will not be impacted by flooding or erosion problems, and that new development does not aggravate flooding problems upstream or downstream. Environmental impacts are also taken into consideration before issuing a permit. If your property is adjacent to a river or valley system, wetland, significant natural feature or the Lake Ontario/Bay of Quinte shoreline, you must receive written permission from Lower Trent Conservation before initiating certain types of work.  Contact Mike Lovejoy, Watershed Monitoring Technician at 613-394-3915 ext. 211.

Are you a building contractor, heavy equipment operator, landscape contractor of farm drainage contractor?  Click here for an overview of the activities that need approval within regulated areas.